This article discusses how to use SNS Nomad v.1.x to prepare a remote workflow. A newer version of Nomad is available; please see Using Nomad v.2 if you're using that version.
Nomad is a utility that can help you gather and copy source media and proxy files from EVO in preparation for remote/work-from-home offline editing. Read our blog post for more information on how Nomad can help you.
Prior to using Nomad:
Nomad was created using the ShareBrowser public API so the following must first be verified:
- Minimum version requirements: EVO 6.1, ShareBrowser 5.0.3, Slingshot 1.2.
- For your media to be found by Nomad it must be indexed.
- If you would like to use Preview or Edit-Ready Proxies from ShareBrowser, you must also be creating proxies when indexing.
- If you're using Nomad over a VPN, you'll need access to the EVO over ports 80 and 8577. For more information see our article on ports that are used with EVO and ShareBrowser.
Indexing was likely set up when your EVO was deployed, but if it was not, it can still be configured on the Indexer & Proxies page of your EVO.
If you're currently using the ShareBrowser Web App, and you see previews, then all of this is already configured.
You can also see Nomad in action in these videos:
Remote Editing with SNS Nomad - Part 1
Remote Editing with SNS Nomad - Part 2
- Download Nomad from here.
- Run Nomad on a Mac or Windows machine that has a connection to EVO, whether local or VPN.
- Login using the IP and user credentials you use in ShareBrowser.
- Choose the parameters for your copy and then click "Review Copy Task" at the bottom. Nomad will then scan the specified Premiere project, directory or ShareBrowser bin for all matches according to the selected criteria. Depending on the size of the job requested, this process may take several minutes. When completed, a new window will appear, with the expected output of each operation listed, which can be reviewed before the job is actually run.
- Once all intended materials have been copied, the output can be delivered to edit machines anywhere for offline editing using their existing projects. Editors can render to local storage, or if they have a VPN connection, directly back to EVO.
Proxy Skip List
In some cases, it makes more sense to get the original file than a proxy, even if a proxy already exists. This can save some re-linking when working with the project if it's looking for a specific file type and not considering a proxy version. For any file type that meets these criteria, enter its extension in the box. If multiple file types are specified, these should be comma-separated with no spaces. For example:
This is checked by default, and will tell Nomad to download the original file if no proxy is found for it. This may not be ideal for every export instance, considering transfer times and storage capacity at the destination. If the box is unchecked, Nomad will only gather the proxies it finds, and will not copy any original files.
Note: When using Edit-Ready Proxies (Slingshot 1.4+). Nomad will first attempt to download the Edit-Ready Proxies, if those don't exist, it will use ShareBrowser Preview files. If there are NO previews or proxies, then it will follow this checkbox.
Use Original Extension
This is checked by default, and will rename the proxy file according to its original extension. This can also ease relinking, since the NLE will expect the path to the original file to match.
This is unchecked by default. If files chosen for copy already exist at the destination, Nomad will skip these. If the same file names chosen for copy already exist in the destination folder, checking this box will instruct Nomad to replace them with the new copies. This only considers the exact names of the files and does not consider size, so if a file has been altered but its name unchanged, checking this box will ensure a fresh copy.
Make sure all the required shares have been indexed and are mounted on the workstation. Use the ShareBrowser Desktop Client or Finder/Explorer to navigate to the intended Premiere project or folder, and drag that project/directory into the first field. You can also choose a ShareBrowser bin (version 1.2.2021-04-20 or later). Next, navigate to the location you'd like Nomad to write to, and drag that folder into the second field.
Review Copy Task
Once everything looks correct, click 'Review Copy Task' and give Nomad some time to gather the required information. After this, a new window will appear for review. Lastly, confirm the tasks are expected and click Start to initiate the copy.
Using your files:
If you are using the proxies in an existing project, you should be able to attach them as proxies or re-link them as necessary in your NLE.
In Adobe Premiere Pro specifically, you can open the project while the files are online and attach the local preview proxies as proxy files. This will allow you to switch between high resolution media and proxy files.
Note: By default, EVO proxies are created with 2 audio channels. Certain applications will not attach proxies if the audio channels do not match. If your source media is different (no audio, mono, 5.1 channels, etc), you may want to regenerate your preview proxies without modifying the number of audio channels. If this is the case, please contact our Support team, and they will help you configure EVO to create proxy files with the same number of channels.
Note: When adding a Premiere project for cross-platform use (e.g. running Nomad with UNC mounts on Windows for editing on Mac), open the project in Premiere, verify the files link, and then save the project to ensure paths will match on the other operating system.
2020-03-11 - Version 1.0 Released
2020-03-17 - Version 1.0.2020-03-17 Released
- Fixed bug with spaces in input and output filenames
- Added flag not to overwrite previously copied files and changed default behavior
2020-04-01 - Version 1.1.2020-04-01 Released
- GUI version replaced CLI version, with task parameters exposed in interface
- Added Review Copy Task operation
2020-04-07 - Version 1.1.2020-04-06 Released
- Improved .prproj and general file handling
2020-04-10 - Version 1.1.2020-04-07
- Added file transfer progress and speed reporting
2021-10-12 - Version 1.2.2021-04-20
- Added support for edit proxies
- Added support for ShareBrowser bins
2022-06-15 - Version 1.3.2022-06-15
- Improved support for edit proxies
- Fixed bug in preference file creation in macOS