This article discusses how to use SNS Nomad to prepare a remote workflow.
Nomad is a utility that can help you gather and copy source media and proxy files from EVO in preparation for remote/work-from-home offline editing. Read our blog post for more information on how Nomad can help you.
Prior to using Nomad:
Nomad was creating using the ShareBrowser public API so the following must first be verified:
- To use Nomad, EVO must be running ShareBrowser 5.0.3 and Slingshot 1.2.
- For your media to be found by Nomad it must be indexed.
- If you would like to use Preview Proxies from ShareBrowser, you must also be creating proxies when indexing.
Indexing was likely set up when your EVO was deployed, but if it was not, it can still be configured on the Indexer & Proxies page of your EVO.
If you're currently using the ShareBrowser Web App, and you see previews, then all of this is already configured.
2. (Windows only)
Install Python from here
- The latest Python3 should work.
- When the option is presented by the installer, choose to add python to your Windows PATH variable.
3. Open a Terminal window on macOS or PowerShell Window in Windows.
4. Type python on macOS or py.exe on Windows, and then a space, and drag SNS-Nomad.py to the Terminal or Powershell window and press Enter.
5. When prompted separately, enter your EVO IP, username and password.
6. When prompted, enter an input_path and press Enter.
Note: If using a Premiere Project file, make sure that the necessary shares are mounted so that the files are all online.
7. When prompted, enter an output_path and press Enter.
Nomad will begin copying any proxies that it finds to the output_path creating the same structure as the original file tree.
If there are no proxies, but the file is indexed, it will copy the original files rather than skipping them. This behavior can be changed by flags in the SNS-Nomad.py, if you would like assistance in configuration, please contact our Support Team
Using your files:
If you are using the proxies in an existing project you should be able to attach them as proxies or re-link them as necessary in your NLE.
In Adobe Premiere Pro specifically, you can open the project while the files are online and attach the local preview proxies as proxy files. This will allow you to switch between high resolution media and proxy files.
Note: By default, EVO proxies are created with 2 audio channels. Certain applications will not attach proxies if the audio channels do not match. If your source media is different (no audio, mono, 5.1 channels, etc), you may want to regenerate your preview proxies without modifying the number of audio channels. If this is the case, please contact our Support team, and they will help you configure EVO to create proxy files with the same number of channels.
2020-03-11 - Version 1.0 Released
2020-03-17 - Version 1.0.2020-03-17 Released
- Fixed bug with spaces in input and output filenames.
- Added flag not to overwrite previously copied files and changed default behavior.