EVO shared storage by SNS enables a collaborative edit workflow for all major NLEs, as well as asset management and file automation tools to organize and ensure safety of data. Google Cloud Platform Storage has been validated for use with EVO. To use this product with Google Cloud, please follow
the instructions below.
- EVO version 6.1.5
- Slingshot version 1.4
- A Google Cloud Platform account
- A Google Cloud service account key
Follow the steps outlined below to connect EVO to your Google Cloud Storage bucket.
1. In the Google Cloud console, create a New Project with a unique name.
2. Navigate to Storage > Cloud Storage to create a bucket within the project to store your data. Use the specified settings in the next step.
3. Name your bucket and click Continue (not Create) for each option, and change the Access control option to Fine-grained.
Note: Copy the bucket name into a text editor for future reference.
4. Once all your settings are entered, click Create, and the browser should return to the Bucket details page.
5. A service account is required to allow EVO access to the bucket. Navigate to IAM & Admin > Service Accounts.
6. Select the Service Accounts category and click Create service account.
7. In the Service account name field, enter a name. In the Service account description field, enter a description. Click Create and continue.
Note: Copy the service account ID into a text editor for future reference. (e.g. email@example.com)
8. Select the Actions menu (for the service account that you created) and click Manage keys.
9. Click Add key, then Create new key.
10. Click Create. A JSON key file is downloaded to your computer.
11. Go back to the Cloud Storage page.
12. Select the bucket details, click Permissions, and then click Add.
13. In the New principals field, enter the service account information. In the Role drop down menu, select Storage Legacy Bucket Owner (under the Cloud Storage Legacy category) and save the changes.
Now that Google Cloud Platform is properly configured, you're ready to configure EVO's Slingshot connection to Google Cloud.
1. In the EVO web interface, navigate to Slingshot > Settings > Aliases (EVO Version 6.x: Navigate to the Slingshot > Aliases page).
2. Click the plus icon (the + button) located on the Aliases card. EVO Version 6.x: Click “Add alias”
3. Give your Alias a name and select Google Cloud Storage from the Schema drop down menu.
4. Enter your bucket name as it appears in the Google Cloud Console.
5. Upload your service account key file (previously downloaded from the Google Cloud Console). The user that owns the keys will need read/write access to the bucket in order to compare source and destination contents, and to write new content to the destination.
5. Click Save, and allow a few moments for authentication to complete .
6. Navigate back to the Slingshot page to create a new Replication job.
7. Choose the source for what should be replicated to Google Cloud, and set the destination as the Google Cloud target. Note that by default this will create a folder on the destination with the same name as your job. The relative path can be changed if needed, or left empty to create the files at the root of the bucket.
The method used by default is Copy/Replace, which means content removed from the source will not be removed at the destination, so the job will only ever add updated content. The other option is Sync/Remove, in which case content deleted from the source will also be deleted from the destination the next time the job is run.
Note: If ShareBrowser is used with EVO, care should be taken not to manually modify the destination content after replication, since this can create a discrepancy in the ShareBrowser database. It's expected that only Slingshot will be used to modify replicated contents at the destination directory.
Note: Lifecycle rules may move the data into object storage, in which case Slingshot will lose visibility for it.
Have more questions? Submit a request