This integration requires ShareBrowser version 6.
To set up an SDNA server for Archiving and Restoring with ShareBrowser:
- Purchase or attain a Fabric API key from your SDNA representative.
- Mount all EVO shares from which you intend to archive on the SDNA server.
- Create an API archive.
To use the archiving features of ShareBrowser:
- Open Advanced Preferences.
- Check the box to "Enable StorageDNA Integration".
- Fill out the "Archive Name" as defined by your StorageDNA device.
- Fill out the ServerIP for the Fabric API running on a StorageDNA server. The port is typically 5000.
- Fill out the StorageDNA Fabric Authorization Key.
Once this is complete you can right-click any file or folder from within ShareBrowser and choose Archive.
This is also available via multi-select, meaning, you can select multiple files and/or multiple folders and submit them all in one archive request.
Note: This is only available in ShareBrowser 6.0+, not in the Legacy Desktop Client or the ShareBrowser Web App.
The EVO share on which the file is located must be mounted on the client machine as well as the SDNA server. While the file transfer itself will be server to server, this will verify the file exists prior to requesting its transfer.
After choosing to archive a file:
- Once ShareBrowser confirms that StorageDNA has created a ticket to archive a file, the metadata will be updated with the user that sent the file and a timestamp of when it was requested.
- After StorageDNA finishes archiving the file, it will update the tapeID and the file will be marked as archived (with a cassette icon).
- When this process is complete and the user has confirmed the archive's integrity, the file can be safely removed from the EVO share.
The file's metadata, including tags, comments, and custom metadata will still be available in ShareBrowser and the file's thumbnail will become transparent.
This shows that the file is no longer available in the online storage, however its metadata is still searchable and a preview, if applicable, will still be available.
Important things to keep in mind:
- Archiving from ShareBrowser was designed for files that are no longer being updated.
- Once marked as archived, this can only be changed via calls to the ShareBrowser API.
- Folders do not get marked as archived, only their contents. Folders will be recreated as necessary.
- ShareBrowser will NOT keep track of a file's current status on a StorageDNA system, only whether it was requested to be archived.
- Restores can be called as needed.
To Restore Files or Folders:
- Right-click and choose restore.
- Files will only restore to their original location.
- If folder's have been deleted in the file tree, they will be recreated.
- The volume to which the files are restoring must be mounted on the SDNA server.
Note: You should not replace files that have been archived with files of the same name and path, the new files could be replaced on restore, and the metadata can get mismatched.
Note: HTTPS (EVO version 7 only) is not currently supported for SDNA workflows.